Monday- was busy doing work and all- brain was fried and I was so tired from the insomnia and day activities that I was zoning out during training. Which is good because my mind only focuses on that. That and the addictive song Rude.
Funny how I joined softball just 2-3 years ago when I first entered NUS. Wednesdays and Saturdays were days I blocked off for these years. My seniors were patient with me and taught me all they knew. They encouraged me, yelled at me, - everything to help me improve. Sometimes I felt like shit but at the end of the day I know that it will all be worth it.
Went to watch my first game in Kallang, can’t remember if I was on the field or the bench but it was sooooo awesome. My favourite diamond is the open one- I liked the space.
Some softball milestones & memories in my life:
1. First training- touched base with Eriks who was the manager then- got hit on the mouth during training by Suyee, my lips bled. But I came back again.
2. Started to learn batting from many many people, Fadz changed my batting stance from righty to lefty. So I field right and bat left now. When I get ready to bat, the fielders will be like ‘lefty!’. Hopefully one day I’ll be strong enough to make them go “stand back!” Hahaha.
3. The day Li en adjusted my hips during training and I found new power in throwing- needed that so much to do outfield better.
4. Outfield training/pedalling in Chiangmai by Liping.
5. Zesa’s hiong fielding trainings- thats what the previous training reminded me of- the consecutive fielding. Not scared or even resentful for it, I just want to improve. Sengwei’s sliding practice.
6. Encouragement on the field. The feeling of security with Suyee as 1, Eriks on 2. Me on right, Li en as center.
7. My first game as an outfielder, my first run home. My jersey, my cap, my slacks. My first football shoes. My first glove. My many batting gloves that are actually golf gloves. Haha. Long socks.
8. Jamming my thumb when throwing with Yawen, end up skipping training for a while.
9. Witnessing home-runs by SJ and Yawen
10. My favourite blue Catalyst bat.
11. Fking up in outfield and catching flies during matches. Being so frustrated and relieved.
12. Sixian’s words of encouragement and guidance all the way. :’)
Grew to love softball, grew to love batting, fielding, outfield, sometimes infield, sprinting, running, training. Love my team mates, love my field, the gorgeous night sky, picking balls from the drains.
Love very much.
I think I’ve grown a lot all around. Mentally, physically, experience wise. Not perfect but definitely someone better than the clumsy freshman who could not throw far, had awful fielding, had fears of being hit during long hits, shirking training feels etc.
Just feel many loves. <3 I just want to try harder.